Pages

About Me

Kentucky, United States
Fourth generation beef producer, wife, mother, 4-H & FFA supporter, agriculture advocate, Christian, WKU alum, love livestock shows, basketball, college football, Dallas Cowboys. All things agriculture.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

March Madness in the Bluegrass State

     As a member of the class of '87 of Western Kentucky University, and employee, my passion for the Hilltoppers is great, and as a Kentuckian, my passion for University of Kentucky basketball is also great. So, I find myself on this greatest day of basketball history beginning this day with much anticipation and excitement knowing that not only are my two favorite teams playing each other in Kentucky, but that Murray State also plays today in Louisville, and University of Louisville plays in Oregon.
     It's so wonderful to have four Kentucky teams in the NCAA tournament and three of those four playing the same day in Louisville, Kentucky at the YUM Center. Of course the selection committee would never have allowed U of L to play in Louisville, but it's really terrible that they were booted across the nation when the other teams move into their home.
     I won't be in Louisville today to enjoy the excitement but I will be watching the games on TV or my computer at work, except for the game between WKU and UK and then you will find me with my family in front of our TV, red towel in hand!
     What a great game it should be and wow...what if WKU beats UK? WKU is the only team in the tournament with a losing season 15-18, now 16-18 .  A #16 over a #1!! That would just be incredible. This young WKU team that's dealt with a change in head coaches and experienced a season with both extreme disappointments and jubilation now has renewed nationwide attention!! WKU coach Ray Harper, a Kentucky native, has stepped in and given motivation and confidence to this young team. A win over UK would be awesome! WKU has a great basketball tradition with 42 conference championships, third-most in NCAA history; 40 seasons with 20+ wins, sixth-most in NCAA history; and 8th in NCAA history in all-time winning percentage. WKU also has 34 post-season appearances!
     But then, I've also watched this UK team and like so many I've cheered for them and watched them play as a team like no other UK team in recent history. I grew up as a UK fan and remember well the 1978 championship team, and the many more great teams following. Do you see my problem?
     I've decided to enjoy the fact that they are playing each other and representing Kentucky well, as basketball fans everywhere watch the game tonight. I'm proud that there's not the rivalry of UK/U of L in this game, but a great respect with great friends and high school teammates Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (UK) and Derrick Gordon (WKU) playing each other in the college game they've dreamed of.
     My father made the statement to my mother, wondering if I could make it through this game. Well, I'm sure I'll make it but it will be with much excitement, yelling, and anxious moments. My parents were at our house on Tuesday when WKU came from behind and defeated Mississippi Valley State. Our house was anything but quiet with me, my husband, and our daughter, all WKU grads, so excited over the dramatic comeback and win. I'm wondering how loud our home will be tonight as we gather once again to watch THE GAME. I haven't mentioned that my mother is a huge UK fan! It should be interesting but whatever the outcome I will be proud of all the Kentucky teams and enjoy each and every moment of March Madness!


No comments: